Woodley United 0 Ardley United 4: first defeat for Kestrels


Join the Football in Berkshire mailing list for regular updates direct to you!

Hellenic premiership side Ardley popped just across the county line to visit the division one East side Woodley Utd in the first round qualifying of the Fa vase, for the winning team a trip away to the inform Hellenic premier side Tuffley Rovers. The losers the wait for another year to go for FA competition glory.

The home side opened the attack with a drive down their favoured left hand side, getting in behind the Ardley defence for a shot on goal, visiting keeper Lee Farrow doing well not to give the home side a head start.

But it was soon the premiership side on the attack, a drive down the left saw the ball saved, going behind for a corner to the visitors who made sure their attack by a sweeping ball in for an Ardley Utd head to attack and put in the back of the net.

The game settling into steady pace saw the home side continue to push forward, the final ball   just availing any sort of attack to keep Ardley keeper Lee Farrow busy.

On the break Ardley looked menacing, causing all sorts of problems for the Woodley defence, home side keeper Alex Reed doing well to shot stop some of the visiting teams attempts on goal.

Still the home side pushed forward, attacking down the left hand side where they found room the attacks soon petered out, pushing Woodley onto the back foot and allowing the Ardley forwards space to run in behind.

Shots cleared off the line by the home sides defence gave them some hope to hold on to a small defecate at half time, but with five minutes to go from the break the Oxfordshire side swooped a good from the left hand side, the header unchallenged to put the away side in at half time two goals up.

The second half saw Ardley come out the dominate side, Woodley showing no real answer to the attacking and defending strength of the Hellenic Premiership team.

And it wasn’t to long to wait before again the visitors struck with a goal to give them the commanding edge in the cup tie.

Woodley keeper again pulling off some fine saves to prevent the goal deficit getting any bigger, but it showed the Ardley forwards certainly had the key to the defence of Woodley, letting themselves in regularly for shots on target.

Woodley’s best chance of the game at claiming a goal came mid-way through the second half. A move on the Ardley goal saw Lee Farrow who had little to do most game on the rain soaked pitch make a fumble at the save, the ball falling to the feet of the Woodley forwards who struck on target. The Ardley defence who stood their job well managing to make the goal line save Lee Farrow well beaten at the time.

The ball played through the right with ten minutes of the game left saw a gathering of players attack and defend the ball, the consistent fine rain making things greasy all around saw the ball spill only for an Ardley player to strike the ball into the left hand side of Alex Reed’s net, securing the trip into the next qualifying round for Ardley Utd.

A disappointing end for the home side, who’s league performances have been strong, winning two out of two in league games, also securing a next round game in the Bluefin sports Hellenic Floodlit cup.

But a strong, polished performance by the visitors see them progress forward in the FA vase and an away trip to Tuffley in an all Hellenic premiership clash

Football in Berkshire has a Breaking News WhatsApp group where we’ll send you updates on all the latest football news from the Royal County. You can join Breaking Berkshire Football News by clicking here

Subscribe to the newsletter

Join the Football in Berkshire mailing list for regular updates direct to you!

Search Football in Berkshire